The Higginsons

Saturday, November 03, 2007

THE WEEK OF: August 12th - August 18th
AND: A Tribute To My Sister Laura

On Monday, August 13th, Vaughn had his 24-month doctor appointment. He had to get shots, so I was not looking forward to taking him. At the end of his checkup, the nurse came in with his shots. (By the way, this appointment was right in the middle of Vaughn's normal nap time). They had me hold him down while she stuck him in his upper thigh. Vaughn got two shots, and never made a sound! His face got red, and he looked at me and the nurse like we had tried to kill him. But he never cried. I picked him up and held him and told him how sorry I was that he had to get the shots and how brave he was. Then he got out of my arms and sat on the exam table, turned around and started making funny faces in the mirror and laughing. I couldn't believe it! I have the weirdest kid EVER!

On Tuesday the 14th, I can't remember where we were, but all I had for Vaughn to drink was a cup I had been using with a straw. I offered him the drink, knowing he didn't know how to use a straw, and within about 30 seconds, he was drinking using the straw! I was so happy!!!

Wednesday August 15th was a sad day for me because Brian left on a business trip to
California. He was going to be gone for almost a week, and it was very hard for me to say good bye to him. From the moment he left, I felt very lonely and sad. I was surprised at how hard it hit me! I always miss Brian when we're apart, but this time it was extra difficult.

I called Laura, and sounded so pathetic that she gave in and decided to come over and hang out. I was SO GLAD she came!!! Here's Laura trying to get Vaughn (and me) cheered up.











Laura got Vaughn to let her give him an "airplane ride" and I think at first he didn't know what to think about it!
































But of course, Laura can get anyone to "get happy!" And...after a few more daring airplane maneuvers.....



.....Vaughn was all smiles....even if they were slightly weird smiles! PS, Laura is very flexible. (Look back at the last picture).







By this time of course I was starting to get the "happy vibe." Vaughn had of course reverted back to his stone-faced self, although I promise he was enjoying being held by me.









To try and prove it, I decided to tickle Vaughn, and I almost got a smile!










The next few pictures are of me kissing Vaughn because HE WAS SO DANG CUTE and felt like he had KRISPY KREME DOUGH in his cheeks!
I couldn't resist! Just look at his cheeks and the skin under his chin!











If you had those cheeks right in front of you, you would kiss them too!












May I point out his cute little double chin? Can you see why I'm constantly hugging and kissing and spazzing on this little boy?!?!








And Now For "Lisa and Laura's Funny Face Fiasco!!!"

If you know the Oviatt girls, then you know that we (Lisa, Laura and Lindsey) all do "The Face." It is a tradition for us whenever we get together. It just has to happen, or I'm sure we would spontaneously combust. So here's Laura and me doing "The Face." Gorgeous, isn't it?









I look slightly like a monkey, don't I?











In Brian's family when you pull your upper lip in so it doesn't show, they call it a "Sigot." So, this is our "Sigot Face." Laura!!!! Why are you SO GROSS?!?!










Have I mentioned that Laura has the most amazing facial expressions on the planet? I am laughing out loud as I'm typing this and looking at Laura. Is she for real?








I think I finally couldn't take it any more. I had to either explode from laughing so hard, or eat Laura's head. I chose the latter. Laura was a little weirded out.






Now before you think all we ever do is "be immature," I must write my Tribute to Laura. A few years ago I went through a period of time where I was very lonely. I didn't feel like I had many friends to talk to. I began to pray to be able to find a very good friend, a person that I could really enjoy being around. Then my sister Laura moved out to Utah. Over the course of the last few years, and especially in the last several months, Laura has become that treasured friend to me. She is (second only to my husband Brian) the funniest, smartest, most entertaining person I have ever met. She is also a great reservoir of love and compassion. She does not hesitate to come to my aid when I am sick, overwhelmed with motherly duties, suffering from migraines, or just feeling down. She is also there for me in my happiest moments, many of which are because of her. She is a wonderful Aunt to little Vaughn. She is a wild party animal, and a tender loving confidant. She is the life of the party, but also a bringer of peace. When Laura is around I am happy. I treasure every moment with her, whether it's watching a movie, making a late-night run to a fast food place, laughing so hard I think I'll puke, or just talking about life. She may never truly understand the impact she has had on me. I thank my Heavenly Father for her. And looking forward to eternity is that much sweeter knowing that Laura will be there as my eternal sister and my eternal friend. Heaven can't be heaven without her. (And if we're both good, maybe we'll both make it!)


I Love You Laura!

Love, Lisa

1 Comments:

At 10:53 PM, Blogger Leslie said...

wow... at the end of the photos with you and vaughn, i was planning to say in my comment how beautiful you are, lisa. THEN, i got to your photos of you and your sister... WOW! just kidding. it doesn't change the fact tha tyou are so beautiful. thanks for sharing your tribute about your sister. i feel that way about my sisters as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home