The Higginsons

Thursday, August 23, 2007

ANOTHER EVENTFUL WEEK

THE WEEK OF: July 22nd - July 28th

The week of July 22nd - 28th was full of fun as well. I started off the week very well when I went to pick vegetables from the garden. I got such an array of different things, as the picture to the left shows! My favorite surprise was a nice big potato. I picked onions, bell peppers, peas, green beans, cucumbers, Anaheim peppers and jalapeno peppers. What a great garden!!!



Apparently I didn't watch Vaughn carefully enough when I was out picking vegetables. He got into something that had grease on it and when I found him, he had rubbed all over one of his eyes. At least it was only one!













Brian had July 24th off because it is Pioneer Day here in Utah. It's the day when the Mormon Pioneers first came into the Utah Valley after crossing thousands of miles to get there. So it has been declared a state holiday. We decided to make a day of it! Brian had been working 16-hour days for almost two-and-a-half weeks, so he and I were both ready for the break! We started out by going to a toy store to look for a birthday present for Vaughn. Then we headed over to Fazoli's for a dollar menu lunch!















Here's me enjoying some tasty spaghetti. Yes, I am wearing a bib. But I did it so Vaughn wouldn't feel so awkward having to wear one....(Wink Wink).










Vaughn was more interested in eating ice than anything else. He has always been fascinated with it. He loves to fish it out of a cup of water whenever he gets the chance. If he can't get to the ice, he hands either Brian or myself the cup and makes a little sound while he points to it to let us know he needs help. It is adorable!

We spent the rest of the day just hanging out together and relaxing. It was wonderful to be able to spend time together as a family, and not worry about work or deadlines or extra stress. It was one of the better days we'd had in a long time!





Brian's sister Rebekah and her kids arrived on Wednesday the 25th. They were going to visit for just a few days while Rebekah's husband Jim was doing a church activity up in the Salt Lake area. I'll get to some pictures of them later.

On Thursday morning I took Vaughn with me to an early-morning church planning meeting. I am part of an activity committee that arranges activities for the women. The meeting lasted for quite a while, so we went outside and I had Vaughn play in the back yard of the woman's house we were meeting at. There was one other little girl there with her mother. Some time into the meeting the little girl came up to me and said, "Vaughn is crying." I whipped around and his face was bright red and he was holding in tears and choking a little bit. He was holding his hand and I knew instantly that he'd been stung by a bee. I checked his hand and found a big sting on his finger. I immediately washed it off and put a mixture of baking soda and water on it. He never made a peep. He just "took it like a man." Everyone there was totally shocked that he didn't cry out or anything! So for being such a good boy, I took Vaughn out for lunch at Arby's. He loves Arby's curly fries, and you can see him here in the middle of dipping one in the fry sauce. What a brave little boy!!!


On Friday the 27th we went over to Brian's parents' house in Springville to spend some time with Rebekah and her kids. Brian's brother Robert was there, and he took time out to play with Vaughn. He was so loving and wanted to do something special with Vaughn when he heard about Vaughn's bee sting and how brave he was. So Robert got out his marble game and played with Vaughn for a while. He is a great uncle and friend to Vaughn.










Later that evening, Brian's sister Rebekah asked if she could give Vaughn his birthday present early because they would be back home in August and would miss it. We thought that was so nice of Bekah to think ahead like that! So Bekah gave Vaughn a cute little golf set. I wish I had gotten a better picture of Bekah. You can just see part of her face in this shot. But Vaughn instantly loved it!











We had Vaughn just hold it for a few minutes because there were several kids there that wanted to try it out too. Then once he'd held it for a little while, we opened it up and the fun began!











Brian and Rebekah took turns showing the kids how to putt the ball into the hole. Here's Brian showing Vaughn the ropes while Rebekah's little girl Isabelle practices with them. Isn't this the cutest? I love the fact that Vaughn is in a diaper!













I mentioned earlier that Vaughn instantly liked the golf set. In fact, he fell asleep that night holding one of the golf clubs. And we found him the next morning on the floor, still asleep and still holding that golf club! He spent the next week taking naps with it, eating with it at the dinner table, taking it in his stroller on walks, and then going to bed at night holding it. What a nut!









My sister Lindsey came into town Friday night and was over bright an early Saturday morning to say "Hi." I love it when Lindsey comes to visit because it gives me an opportunity to have much-needed girl time. But first, Lindsey has to have "boy time" with Vaughn. Here she is wrestling with him.

Lindsey traveled down with her boyfriend Dustin, so we decided to all get together that evening up at Bridal Veil Falls for dinner and fun. But I'm going to leave that for the next blog entry because I have too many pictures that I want to show, and it would make this entry way too long! So until next time!

And here's one for the road...

Love, Lisa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home