The Higginsons

Sunday, February 10, 2008

In Remembrance of Aaron Sverre Harkness
March 29th, 1977 to November 29th, 2007

This entry is an extremely difficult entry for me, as it deals with some friends I care for dearly, and a tragedy that occurred in their lives. I will try my best to give them the respect they deserve, and hope I will be able to finish this, as I am already in tears as I begin.

(Aaron and Leslie at their wedding reception in August 2002)

December 1st, 2007 was a very difficult day for me and Brian, as it was the day we found out that our dear cousin and friend Leslie Harkness had lost her beloved companion Aaron. We had gone out that morning to get a Christmas tree. We came back and were in the middle of lunch when we got a phone call from Brian's mother telling us the news that Aaron had passed away in his sleep just two days earlier. We both went into shock. I began to sob and Brian went white and became very quiet. We couldn't believe what we had just been told. Our thoughts immediately turned to dear Leslie and their son Aaron Jr. who happened to be turning 2 years old that day. We called Leslie immediately, not knowing if she could or would want to talk, but we got through and she took our call. I immediately began to cry as I tried to convey to her how very sorry we were, and how much we loved her. I was so touched when Leslie began to cry, and through the tears she thanked us, and then asked about our well-being. Leslie has always been the first to think of others, even in times of great difficulty and sorrow. I can only hope to be able to attain that level of compassion someday. Our conversation was brief, but one I will never forget. Brian and I spent the rest of the day thinking of and praying for Leslie and Aaron Jr, and talking about our memories of Aaron.

[lake+powell+2007a.jpg]
(Aaron, courtesy of Leslie's blog)

Aaron's funeral was held the following Tuesday, December 4th in Bountiful, Utah. We did not bring our camera as we thought it would not be appropriate on our parts. However, Leslie had some pictures taken that she has posted on her personal blog, some of which have been used in this entry. The funeral was very inspiring as many stories were told of Aaron's acts of charity, love, kindness, bravery and humility. He was dearly loved by his parents, siblings and friends. He was as Leslie has said, "The love of [her] life and...her eternity." It was difficult to see Leslie so heartbroken, although she handled everything with great dignity. She even spoke during the funeral services. I have never heard a more touching tribute. And I have never had more respect for anyone than I had for Leslie that day.

[image_0163a.jpg]
(Aaron Jr. getting a flower)
(Courtesy of Leslie's blog and Higginson photography)


There were many moments during the funeral services that were very touching. The above picture was taken during one of those moments. Aaron Jr. looks so much like his father, especially when he's dressed like a cowboy, as he was that day.

(The front of the booklet given to us at Aaron's funeral)

The following is Aaron's obituary:

Aaron Sverre Harkness 30, our dearly loved husband, father, son, brother, and friend passed away November 29, 2007 at his parent's home in Bountiful, Utah while in his sleep.
Aaron was born March 29, 1977 in Bountiful, Utah to Stephen Harold Harkness and Elida Susen Jensen. He married his love Leslie Kay Higginson on August 21, 2002 in the Salt Lake Temple. Aaron is the love of Leslie's life and thankfully, he is the love of her eternity.
Aaron was one-of a kind, a great man. His greatest redeeming characteristic in life was his generous, loving heart the size of Texas. This vast love for others was infectious, and people were naturally drawn to him. He spent his entire life serving others, often unnoticed and at his own expense. Aaron served an honorable mission for the LDS Church in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. He loved the Brazilian people and was able to serve in many capacities as a missionary. There's no doubt that his great love for the people touched countless lives.
Aaron was an exceptional husband and father. He was amazingly strong, but gentle. A giant both in stature and heart. He was also a passionate outdoorsman. He delighted in spending time outdoors with his family, friends, his dog Ode, and his horse Shelia. Somehow, Aaron always shot the biggest buck and caught the biggest fish. Aaron was a cowboy at heart and he was guiding his son in those same footsteps. They loved spending time together.
Aaron spent the majority of his working life self-employed as a carpenter, making unique and beautiful furniture. He had so many talents, so much knowledge to offer. He always tried to take advantage of every teaching moment. He was also employed as a counselor at Discovery Ranch in Springville, Utah. He was instrumental in giving comfort and guidance to troubled youth.
There are many aspects of Aaron's life that parallel that of his Savior's life. Christ was his ideal. Although he spent only 30 years here on earth, he lived his lfie to the fullest. Aaron touched the lives of everyone who came into contact with his generous spirit. We are all better peole for knowing him. We love you Aaron! Survived by his loving wife Leslie; son Aaron Sverre Harkness Jr; parents Steve and Sue Harkness; sisters Sadie Joy Muhlestein (Nick), and April Starr Whiting (Dave); and brother Steve Harold Harkness II (Christa).


[096+8x10.jpg]
(Leslie, Aaron, Aaron Jr. and Ode)
(Courtesy of Leslie's blog and Higginson Photograph
y)

To Leslie and Aaron Jr. I want to leave my most sincere love. I pray for you both every day. We pray for you as a family every day. We cannot fully understand the pain you are going through, but Brian and I share your sorrow, as we see you sorrow for the loss of Aaron. We cling to and rejoice in the knowledge that when married in the temple of the Lord, husband and wife are sealed for eternity, as well as any children that come to them. And if covenants are kept, the blessings of sharing that eternity with our spouse and children and all our loved ones are granted to us. I love you Leslie as my sister, friend and example. You are an inspiration to me. You are an inspiration to many. I hope you feel the love of all those that pray for you. May God bless, comfort and sustain you in answer to their and our prayers.

Love, Lisa

3 Comments:

At 9:26 AM, Blogger Vicki said...

What a touching post... thanks for that post, Lisa. I, too, found out about Aaron's death on that Saturday, Dec. 1. It was in the morning and I was at Wal-Mart, calling my mom about something. My dad was on another phone, talking to Aunt Tam, when they found out and my mom told me. Even though I didn't really know Aaron, I still went into shock, too (at Wal-Mart of all places!), but the shock was mostly on the inside since I was at Wal-Mart. After I was done shopping, I went home and even though Jeff was still sleeping, I woke him up to tell him the news, then told him how much I loved him. It was a sad day and I wished I could have gone to the funeral. Love you, Leslie! And thank you again, Lisa, for your post... love you guys, too!

 
At 12:51 AM, Blogger Leslie said...

lisa,
i don't know what to say. i was already crying when i got to your blog because of a memory i was thinking of after looking at mindy's blog... then i came to yours and... well, i haven't cried that hard for days.
i can't even begin to tell you how grateful i am for what you wrote. words escape me right now. i love you guys and i SO appreciate your remembrance of aaron.
i miss him so much. my heart still hurts so badly. thank you for making me cry. i needed it desperately. i really did.
i love you guys. i truly do.
-leslie *

 
At 12:53 AM, Blogger Leslie said...

p.s. i have never seen that photo of us on our wedding day before. i can only assume it is one that you guys took. if you wouldn't mind... i would LOVE a copy of it emailed to me and also any others that you might have of that day. i don't have very many of the reception, so i would love it.
thank you for posting it... i might never have seen it.
thank you again for what you wrote. you are such a great friend.
much love...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home