The Higginsons

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!!!!
(This was supposed to have been posted on July 4th, but I didn't get it done in time. Hence the opening statement.)

.
I just wanted to say how grateful I am to live in the United States, and to enjoy the freedoms I enjoy living here. Nowhere else in the world will you find a country that allows so much freedom. I am grateful to be able to vote, to freely express my opinions, to live where I want to live. I can choose the doctor I want to see. I can drive in between states without having to show documentation of who I am. I can freely pursue interests, and take classes where I desire, and about what I'm interested in. I am grateful for the privilege to worship in whatever way I desire. And I am especially grateful for the men and women that have fought, and continue to fight this day to protect those freedoms which I enjoy, and which my family enjoys.


To continue from the last entry....


On Saturday, April 21st, Poopa, Momma, Vaughn and I began the long trip back to Iowa. I had arranged with Momma and Poopa to travel back with them in the van and stay for about a week. I was so excited, I could barely hold it in! Along the way we made several stops, and here's Poopa getting some exercise with Vaughn.












Vaughn was so happy to get out of the car that he threw his hands up in the air and did a dance! He also decided to take big handfuls of sand from the play area and toss that up as well, covering himself from head to toe.













I decided to get in on the fun, and Vaughn was more than happy to show me how to play in the sand.
















Here's Vaughn playing with whatever this was supposed to be. I guess you could call it Modern Playground Equipment. (I think I like old-fashioned swings and a slide a little better).











Vaughn woke up that morning with major
"turkey tails" in his hair, as Brian would say. We went into a little convenience store, and Vaughn was immediately drawn to this pattern at the front counter. I would have never noticed it, but that's because I'm not less than three feet tall!








We arrived in Iowa on Sunday the 22nd (I think) after driving straight through. Poopa was so great to do this for Vaughn's sake. Vaughn didn't waste any time making new friends, although I have to wonder how mutual the friendship was with our cat Lincoln. Momma was sitting right next to Vaughn, making sure he didn't smother or choke Lincoln to death!










After work on Monday, Poopa took Vaughn for a ride on Momma's scooter. (I'm wondering if I'm going to get Poopa in trouble for posting this picture). Vaughn loved it!

















Vaughn was so grateful to Poopa that he gave him a nice, long hug before bedtime!










It had been raining since the day we got to Iowa, so Vaughn and I were going crazy by day three of our vacation. Poopa took the opportunity to play with Vaughn when both of them needed to "let it out." What ensued next was "The Great Poopa Chase" as Momma called it.









I got most of this on video. Vaughn and Poopa spent a good 15 minutes chasing each other around the front room. Vaughn should have known that Poopa would eventually get him. It was quite a sight to see them together. Momma couldn't stop laughing!








After the chase was over, I told Vaughn, "Okay Vaughn. Let's change your diaper, brush your teeth and get ready for bed." Vaughn stopped what he was doing, walked over to me, looked me right in the eye, sat himself down on the ground in front of me, and then laid back on the ground. He did it without a fuss, and with the funniest look on his face! I was so shocked. Momma and Poopa had the same reaction. But Momma got my picture first.











The next day it was raining AGAIN! It had been raining solid for four days straight! To prove it had been raining, here is a shot I took of a squirrel just outside on the back deck. You can't really tell from the picture, but it is raining really hard, and this little guy is trying to protect himself! I thought it was pretty clever of him to put his tail up like that.









I think this is the day we finally got out of the house and went to Sam's Club or another store. If you look carefully at the back window in the van, you can see rain droplets! I guess our little jaunt was exciting enough that it put Vaughn to sleep!










On Thursday the 26th, on our fifth day in Iowa, Poopa came to the rescue when he busted out this little car for Vaughn to play with. Vaughn wouldn't even let me get him dressed before he was in the car and ready to go. It really helped to have something fun to entertain Vaughn since it was STILL RAINING!!!







That evening, Momma and Poopa very kindly got us all out of the house, and we went to eat at a Bar-B-Que joint called Famous Dave's. I was a waitress at this restaurant the summer before I left for college. It was tough work with long hours, but it was worth it. One of my greatest memories of Poopa was when I came home from work one night around midnight, and my feet were on fire. Poopa had an Epsom Salt bath waiting for me. He took my shoes and socks off for me, rubbed my feet, and put them in to soak. While I was waiting there resting, Poopa took my shoes and scraped off food particles that had gotten lodged in the tread on the bottom. I will never forget that experience, ever! That was so kind of Poopa, and especially that late at night!


The next day it finally stopped raining! We jumped at the opportunity to get outside. Poopa grabbed Vaughn and took him to see the next door neighbors' dogs. I can't remember what kind of dog this is, but isn't it cute!?!?!! It's almost as cute as a Pug. Vaughn was of course elated! I'd like to add that Vaughn also kept trying to feed it grass. He just assumes that all animals are like horses.





Later that day one of my best friends growing up came over to visit....Andrea Helin!!! I remember when we moved into the house in Iowa, Andrea was the first friend I made. I remember I invited her over to play Tether ball, and from that point on we were always doing something together! It was so great to see her again. Doesn't she look fabulous?!?!








This was taken later that day. I just thought I'd throw it in because Vaughn looked so cute!


















And here's me and Poopa being silly later that evening.











And speaking of being silly....This is Vaughn during a "Photo Shoot" with Momma. Mom told Vaughn to smile, and he decided to go for the gold and do a series of crazy poses. I'd post all of them, but then you'd all spontaneously combust due to the over-abundance of cuteness.










Here's me getting ready to attack Vaughn because he's so cute I can't stand it.










I thought this one looked quite nice. Thanks to Momma for being behind the camera. Without her none of these would exist! And if you're wondering, Momma will be in some pictures coming up on the next posting.










After a while of playing, it was time to settle down and get ready to go to bed. Vaughn is always so fun to cuddle with just before bedtime! When he gets really sleepy he gives just a half-smile out of the corner of his mouth, and it just melts my heart.








Now before you think I'm lame, and I did nothing the entire week I was in Iowa, I'll explain something. Except for a few hours when Poopa took Vaughn to play with the dogs next door, it literally rained the ENTIRE TIME I was in Iowa. So most of my time was spent indoors talking with Momma, playing with Vaughn, or watching movies. We did go to the store a few times. And I also took great enjoyment in cooking meals for Momma and Poopa. And when the end of the week came, and it was time for me to go home, I decided that I wasn't ready to go yet because I'd been stuck in the house all week!

We were on the way home from something that evening, and Poopa and Momma offered to have me stay another week in kind of a joking way. I started to really think about it, and I decided I would stay for another week! (It also "helped" that Vaughn was having some ear problems and the doctor recommended that he didn't fly home.) So my next posting will be about that! Stay tuned for it!


For now, here's one for the road....


Love, Lisa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home