The Higginsons

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Last Tuesday the 3rd, we spent the evening at Brian's parents' house for his dad's 63rd birthday. We had a really good time and enjoyed the coconut cream pies that his sister Julie made for the occasion. I picked up a little cowboy hat for 25 cents at a garage sale down the street a week or so ago. Vaughn loves it! So here's Vaughn wearing his favorite hat and sitting with Grandpa on his birthday!

On Wednesday for supper I tried making some homemade bread. Now everybody knows I cannot bake bread! It just escapes me every time! I usually wind up with hockey pucks. But this time it mostly worked out for some reason. I used a recipe for Challah, which is a traditional Jewish bread. I used wheat and white bread, so it didn't rise as much, but we were still pleased with the taste and the look.
.
Thursday during the late morning, Vaughn and I went over to Ben and Emily's house for a little while. Vaughn really enjoyed playing with Autumn while Emily and I looked over a pattern for a Halloween costume for Vaughn. By the way, PRARIE IS SO CUTE!!! She has gotten so big! And might I add that her cheeks (on her face) have too! She is a knockout! I'm excited to make this costume since the last time I sewed anything of consequence was in junior high in Home Economics. Emily is being really great to help me with this!


We spent most of the weekend at Brian's parents' house because Brian's sister Rebekah and her family were in town for a visit. Here are a few pictures from over the weekend. Brian's Dad caught Vaughn trying to open the back door with one finger. I love this picture because it shows just how solid Vaughn is. Vaughn was also having a difficult time falling asleep because he was so excited to be with other people. He would not take a nap to save his life. He just stood in his crib and cried, so we finally took him outside to calm him down. We put his cowboy hat on him to make him feel extra better, and Brian's Dad got a shot of him being a very sad cowboy. He just breaks my heart sometimes!









We did get one shot of him looking somewhat happy. But it was only after we had assured him he wouldn't have to nap if he didn't want to.







On Saturday we were watching a show with the family, and Vaughn just couldn't help himself. He had to sit next to his cousin Lael. He absolutely loves her. He kept reaching for her. Here is a shot of Lael, Rebekah (Brian's sister) and Vaughn.








On Saturday morning before we headed back over to Brian's parents' house, I (Lisa) went to play volleyball with our ward (or church) volleyball team! I didn't really know the rules of how to play, so Brian gave me a crash-course, and so did one of the ladies who was there 10 minutes early. It was great! For the first time in my life I actually understood how to play! Our team did really well, and we actually won the tournament! Brian was great to support me. He watched Vaughn the entire time and also took some photos and video.


















Last week I was attempting to get out laundry done. I went outside to get the laundry basket, and there to my surprise was a Praying Mantis! We don't usually see them anymore around here, so I was pretty excited. Unfortunately this one had been injured, probably by our cat Ivan.



On Sunday Rebekah and Jim (her husband) and their kids stopped by after church to say goodbye. We were really surprised because we thought they had already left earlier in the day. We had been saving a watermelon from our garden to share with them, but didn't get to eat it on Saturday. So this was perfect timing! We cut open the watermelon, which weighed over 20 pounds, and we all had some! It was a very sweet watermelon, although it wasn't a very deep pink inside. We were really pleased with how well it grew!



Then last night, Monday night, we had Laura (my sister) and David (her friend) over for Family Night. This is a night during the week, usually Monday night, that families in our church set aside for family time. We teach a lesson, pray, sing, have an activity, and end with dessert! Laura and David had dinner with us before-hand. I cooked a Thai dish called Basil Chicken. David served his mission in Thailand, so I thought it was fitting to serve that dish for dinner! After dinner we went straight to the activity because we were a little late getting started. We played Taboo and Trouble, and it was a blast! Brian and I felt bad though because David and Laura got some words that were just impossible to guess! But we really had a great time with them!















I'm just adding a few more pictures here. Vaughn was ready to get out of his high chair in the picture on the left. He was reaching for us and he just had the most anxious look on his face! And then the one with Brian and Vaughn is pretty cute. Brian was trying to look normal, but he came out looking like he was really mad! Vaughn was concentrating on a show, so he looked a little uptight as well!

And one last one for the road. I'll let you draw your own conclusions about this one!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home